How to make a complaint against the police

If you think you may have grounds for a complaint against a police officer(s) involved in investigating a road incident, or against the force itself, you can make a complaint to the Professional Standards department of your local force.
There are details on the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) website about how to make a complaint directly to your local police force and how to complain directly to the IPCC if you feel the complaint merits escalation or is of a particularly serious nature.
The law firm Fisher Meredith has a useful webpage about making complaints against the police
If you are unsure what action you need to take or need help with writing your complaint, please get in touch with CDF by emailing


Support our work